Stunning Blackberry 2016 Volkswagen Multivan T6

There are so many converters out there that it’s almost impossible to choose one to build your dream van. For Anthony Craft, owner of this stunning Blackberry T6, that wasn’t a problem. He cut out the middleman and built it himself...

Words Gordie Woollacott

Photos: Rich Pearce

CRAFTWORK

After a long and exhaustive search, this 2016 Highline T6 was finally the one that ticked all the boxes for 32-year-old Ant. “I stumbled across this particular van after looking for weeks on end and I knew straight away this was the one for me and my family,” he says. “I had an image in my mind of how I wanted it to look, and I have achieved exactly that.” Starting off with a factory colour such as Blackberry puts you on the front foot right away. “It’s a colour you don't see very often on Transporters,” Anthony points out. “It looks amazing in so many different lights.”

However, it was inside where the initial focus was targeted. With his wife, Amelia and three kids Lenny, Luca, and Siena to consider, Anthony had to get it right. “The van was delivered down to me from VW Commercials in Derby and from that day the project started,” he says. “I had to build a camper that worked perfectly for me and my family! The ply lining got ripped out and the side panels were cut, and new windows were fitted. The front and rear were completely stripped clean and every piece of metal I could reach got Dodo Mat sound deadened then insulated.”

After installing cabling for all the planned gadgetry, including a leisure battery and CTEK charger, Anthony carpet-lined the rear, laid the floor then took a trip to Cornwall. Don’t worry, he wasn’t getting ahead of the curve. Images of a two-week break in Newquay with nothing but a floor to lay on spring to mind — his poor family! No, this was a visit to Altitude Roofs in Par, just outside St. Austell. The low-level pop-up roof with a double bed has been colour-coded to give a stealthy solution for a family of five. It’s the only area Anthony left to the pros. Some of the deals currently available due to high demand make this a great option, plus you get the added peace of mind of the manufacturer warranty, which in this case is two years.

Anthony’s planning was so bang on that, just a week later his furniture units were ready for collection from Evo Motion Design in Dorset. With his home in the same county, it was a short jaunt to make the pick-up. “The units came flat packed and I built them up at home and installed them,” he says. “The quality of this furniture is outstanding and I would highly recommend them to anyone else looking to go their own way. Our family camper was now starting to take shape and we were excited to get it finished!”

What do you call a camper without a bed? Well, not a camper, that’s for sure! The Fabworx Immix triple rock and roll bed was next on the list to get fitted. These are also available with a rail system and come with a lifetime guarantee on the frame, as well as Fabworx’s own ISO fix as standard. “I designed and built a speaker box which sits directly above the rock and roll bed,” Anthony points out. “I’ve housed some Phoenix Gold 6x9s in there, fed by an Alpine head unit and Vibe Optisound amp along with some other speakers in the front. My wife and I then decided to create a feature on the underside of the roof bed with a drop-down DVD player so our kids had some entertainment on those long journeys.” The husband and wife's creativity didn’t stop there.

“We also built and carpeted a Perspex box in which we installed 400 separate LED star lights to give the roof a unique touch. It was an incredibly time-consuming job, however, once done it became a real showstopper, especially when the roof bed is in the upright position. We would be lost without the DVD player, though — our kids love it!” After all this effort spent inside the van, you'd think there’d be none left for outside. Not true. Just take a look at it, sitting there all low and moody! That’s mostly down to the Maxload Air ride Kit, P1 management system, twin V360 silent compressor and three gallon seamless tank, but of course, someone had to put it there. “I’d never done one before, but with the help of a mate it wasn’t too bad, if not a little timeconsuming,” laughs Anthony. “The hardest part was mounting the management and compressors and routing all the airlines correctly making sure they wouldn’t get too hot or foul on any part of the van. It was all worth it when I hit that air-out button and it sat just how I had imagined it would!”

The choice of Bola CSR 19" staggered wheels means the van not only looks good but also sits well due to the 8.5" fronts with ET40 and the 9.5" rears, ET35. The correct fitment of wheels cannot be over-emphasised when it comes to getting your van sitting perfectly, and Anthony has nailed it here. There’s a touch of the Porsche Panamera Hybrid with the detailed callipers, and they certainly pop behind those black rims. The overall look of the van has been toughened up with some choice additions such as the Sportline lower front bumper and splitter, gloss black badges and grill and those cool, tubular side bars.

“I would like to say it’s finished and completed however there is always something else on the list,” says Anthony, already displaying a deep understanding of van life! “There are still a few future plans I have in mind like modifying the front cab to match the rear. But, as of now, I'm enjoying using the van as a camper and taking it to as many shows as I can. We have many more family trips planned to Europe and around the coast here in the UK. For me, this van ticks all the boxes. It’s a real head-turner everywhere it goes, it suits our family's needs perfectly as a daily vehicle and it’s a great bus to go camping in. It also cleans up well for those show ‘n’ shines which is a nice added bonus!” And they say you can’t have it all.

DUB DETAILSStunning Blackberry 2016 Volkswagen Multivan T6

• ENGINE: 2.0TDI
  • MAX POWER: 140bhp
  • CHASSIS: 19” Bola CSR wheels 8.5” et40 fronts & 9.5” et35 rears, Accelera 245/45/19 front & 275/40/19 rear tyres, Maxload air ride Kit, P1 management, twin V360 silent compressors, 3-gallon seamless tank
  • EXTERIOR: Sportline lower bumper and splitter, barn door spoiler, gloss black badges, gloss black grilles with DRL lights, smoked DRL side repeaters, LED fog light bulbs, tubular side bars, Altitude pop-top roof
  • INTERIOR: Built by owner, Evo Motion Design units, Fabworx Immix 1300 triple RnR bed, Kombi folding front seat bracket fitted, Rigid vinyl flooring with integrated underlay, black out curtains, Isotherm 65L Cruise Elegance fridge, LED spotlights, LED star lights, VW Golf R steering wheel
  • AUDIO: Alpine SPC-108T6, 20 cm component speaker system, Phoenix Gold 6X9S, Vibe Optisound amp
  • SHOUT: All the people that have helped and given me advice along the way and of course my beautiful wife Amelia and kids Lenny, Luca and Siena.
Article type:
Review
No comments yet. Be the first to add a comment!
Drives TODAY use cookie