Comments

georgezippy georgezippy 220bhp 2.9-litre Cosworth BOA 24-valve V6 1977 Ford Cortina 1600L shell Mk4 4 days ago

Well that's impressive. Steve Whittaker here, the owner from 2001-2005 when it was featured in classic Ford magazine.

I remember seeing it for sale a few years ago looking quite neglected, shame as it was in decent nick when I had it, but so pleased to see it's survived (even if it is a re-shell). Great job on the restoration.

Wish I could have kept it but I had a bit of a collection then and had just bought a new house so they all had to go apart from the Capri that I still have.

It was a hell of a weapon, I hope to see it at a show in the future.

Naike Marie Eye-popping Individual 580bhp BMW M4 F82 9 days ago

Mega geil

BRIAN YOCKNEY 1959 Jaguar 3.8 Mk1 10 days ago

WOW! Anthony, you have done a splendid job! My sincere congratulations!

I am in a small town in Zimbabwe and I, too, have a Mk1 Jag. Shes'snot original by a long shot having been given a heart transplant many years ago, converting her from a 2.4 to a 3.4 with a correct back axle ratio from a 1959 automatic. She retains her original 4-speed box with overdrive. Her name is Britannia and she's red now with natural tan interior., but was originally Olde English White with the red leather.

Sadly, I am battling time-wise (being a 74 year-old school master!) to finish her restoration, but we'll get it all done...one day!

Good luck with yours! Oh, and I agree with you in preferring the Mk1 to the Mk2.

Kind regards to you and your Jag !

Brian Yockney

...

ChickenNchips Trouble Shooter BMW's N43, N53 and N54 engines 13 days ago

What an absolute ball ache!

I'd highly advise anyone looking to buy a car with the N43, N53 or N54 engine to stay WELL clear until the injector shortage is sorted out (which will most likely take years).

Mark 2023 Isuzu D-Max 3.0 Double Cab 4x4 V-Cross Automatic 17 days ago

Can you buy these trucks in Canada? Particularly In the Vancouver BC area

Tim Sutton-Woodhouse 1987 Jaguar Sport XJ-S first owned by TWR’s Tom Walkinshaw and featuring a unique 6.4-litre V12 23 days ago

Set the scene. MAY 25 1983 Toms office meeting. Tom points to an XJS in the carpark. «Timothy he says get it sorted» Having worked with Tom before and on certain projects I understood. The great Peter Stephens had already started the body form. This the was the Official start of TWR Jaguarsport

I was to create everthing else. I had 1 day off(Xmas day) until the launch at the Brussels Motor Show on JAN 9th 1984

This included G/boxes both 5speed ZF and quick shift GM400 conversions. Big brakes, Engine efficiency kits . seat inserts, gear knobs and a mirriad other things. Dynamic testing Windtunnel testing and above all TOM testing. WE fell out several time as it «wouldnae handle like my race car»

Meanwhile after some hindrances but mostly support from other dept`s We got 2 cars to the Brussels motor show on th 8th Jan 84

for the launch. It went down very well on the continent We then had to consolidate with suppliers; dealers etc. We had several manual XJS`s some with 6.0+litre (we seemed to have mysterious supply of enlarged) and std 5.3 engines. Various others included a Heidegger built 4.0 litre twinturbo of 570 bhp detuned for the road There were a few XJ12`s couple with manual g/boxes (made monkeys of Posches Mercs, BM`s in Germany whilst TUV testing) Records were kept by the TWR Jaguarsport office but not by me (too much else to do)

We also did quite a bit of work on XJ40 (Despite a journalist parking the prototype in a river near RAF Brize Norton0.

The Jaguar cars /Ford TWR Jaguarsport took over in 1988 with virtually same product initially but then developed their own strategy.

Tim Sutton-Woodhouse 10/11/22

rel underwood 1960 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan 24 days ago

it's a classic,just like you are

go mounties

Matthew Hayward Matthew Hayward Last air-cooled Porsche 911 993 generation 24 days ago

In praise of the 993

Great to see a lovely collection of 993s taking your cover slot. Having owned four 993s myself over the past 20 years, I still believe the 993 to be the best era of the 911: last of the air-cooled, with exceptional build quality and engineering. If you wanted to, you could still drive a 993 every day (I believe one of the owners in your test still does), and its size and power-to-weight means it’ll always entertain on a spirited drive. I’ve never quite understood why 964s seem to garner such widespread adulation among fans when really the car was a stop-gap to the 993, but I accept my view may be biased. In any regard, great work underlining the merits of the 993 – we look forward to seeing more.

Chad C. 1972 Fiat 124 Special T 27 days ago

That is one hell of a car, and a very nice write-up. I appreciate your distinction between the «Abarth» style cars you described and yours. Some have the vision, and some have the combination of knowledge and skills. Still, others have vision, knowledge AND skills as well as friends!

The 124 Sedans are equally scarce here in the States, and they are on my short list of dream cars for a hot street racer.

The part crediting the guy's 10 year old making his contribution is appreciated, as I recall being paid well for scraping a LOT of undercoating off my dad's Porsche at a similar age...

Greg Beech 1992 Daimler Double Six Series 3 1 month ago

I ownadouble six Daimler, 65,000klm, 1992, as new. Wonderful vehicle

Bob Harper Bob Harper 2023 Smit Oletha - BMW Z4 E86 V8 GT that thinks it's a Z8 E52 1 month ago

Oletha Z4 Smit

Vehicle Engineering’s Oletha, based on the Z4, from your November issue simply blew me away. I always wondered what more BMW could have done with the Z8 and the Oletha pretty much answers that question. The opening quote in the feature from Willem Smit: “It’s the car we wish BMW had made,” made sme realise that it’s cars like this that I wish BMW were making too, not the utter, ugly rubbish they are churning out these days. In my view BMW has lost its way, thank goodness there are still some fans out there like the Smit brothers with a genuine passion for the brand – and some vision.

Bill Morley 1972 Holden HQ SS 1 month ago

I also understood 253 only also that SS stood for September Special stand to be corrected as well

Emma Woodcock Emma Woodcock Eight steps to buying a Ford Anglia 105/123E 1 month ago

Two of “my” cars in the Nov issue

At 79 years old, I use my late auntie’s Anglia 105E (Buying Guide) as my shopping car. She bought it new in 1966 and drove it all of 14,000 miles until she surrendered her licence in 1986, after which it came into my care. Now with 41k on the clock it’s a joy to drive – never restored, nor driven in rain. It’s totally original bar a few period accessories. You’re right, the Ford carb was rubbish. I have fitted a single SU which gives 40mpg and flat-spot-free acceleration. Now the Allard (The Hot 30). I well remember the day in the early Fifties when a family friend drove my father and I to a small car sales unit in Manchester and there was NKT 17. I never knew if it was a J2 or J2X, but what a sound when the Cadillac flathead V8 fired up! Dad campaigned the Allard at Oulton Park, Silverstone, Shelsley Walsh and Prescott with great gusto but little success. After a couple of years it was replaced by a 1925 Bentley 3 Litre. I seem to remember the Allard had a propensity to shear off driveshafts. Some years ago and with the help of the Allard club, the car was traced to the USA, its UK NKT 17 plate still in place. Happy days!

Bud Suiter 1948 Jaguar XK120 1 month ago

Love this article. Been an XK fan since 1951 — due mostly to the XK120C win at LeMans that year.

Votren De Este Votren De Este 1986 Peugeot 205 T16 E1/E2 1 month ago

As a volunteer for the peugeot sport club uk and the owner of a 205 GTI [pictured] for some 22 years, it was fantastic to see fellow 205 owner Adam Towler’s 106 Rallye ‘Icon’ story and Stephen Dobie’s 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport join the Fast Fleet. However, it also saddened me thinking about the death of the Peugeot GTI and Rallye badges and the affordable small hot hatch as a whole. As a ’90s kid I grew up in the time of the 106 Rallye, 106 GTi, Nova GSi, Fiesta XR2, 5 Turbo and, of course, the 205 GTI. Then as an adult I saw the string of fantastic hot Renault Clios, the Fiesta ST… heck, even the Corsa VXR was supposed to be a good steer. Today, of those only the Fiesta survives, joined by the Hyundai i20 N, but at £25,000, and the Toyota GR Yaris, which is £30,000! Then there are several larger hot hatches that are even more expensive. Hardly the affordable hot hatch replacements to my ’90s pocket rockets.

RIP GTI

I think that the loss of the affordable small hot hatch will in turn be the death of the young car enthusiast. They simply won’t have performance cars that they can afford so they will spend their money on the latest iPhones and making sure their avatar in the metaverse has the latest accessories instead. RIP Peugeot hot hatches, RIP the affordable, small hot hatch and RIP the young car enthusiast. Yours cynically.

MrCentury 2007 Toyota Century V12 1 month ago

Soft close mechanism was removed and ordered from the local Toyota dealership in the U.K. Approximately 6 week lead time if memory serves.

Tim Pitt Tim Pitt 1967 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow 2 months ago

A subtler Shadow

Your feature on the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow reminded me of my late grandfather’s Bentley T. When his building business, Siggs & Chapman in Croydon, took off, he wanted to treat himself with a Rolls-Royce but my grandma thought it too ostentatious and forbade that choice… so he bought a Bentley! The T was in fact his second Bentley, replacing an S2 Continental Flying Spur, ‘2 TPA’, and he kept it until he gave up driving many years later.

I well remember how big it seemed in the 1970s but now they look quite modest and those lines so clean and simple. Funny how cars like this, in the doldrums for years, along with the likes of the Lamborghini Espada and Ferrari 400/412, are now appreciated – and appreciating. It’s just a pity that fuel prices are so high.

Grandad was always being asked ‘What’ll she do?’ – miles per gallon, not miles per hour. He always replied ‘Eight around town and ten on a run’! The way the rear end sat down like a speedboat as he launched it down the road might have been a factor.

Robb Pritchard Robb Pritchard 1967 MGC GTS - Works rack-testing the brilliant ex-Sebring racer 2 months ago

Canuck champs

Richard Meaden’s throwaway line about one of the works MGC GTS cars being driven by ‘the less-than-stellar’ pairing of Craig Hill and Bill Brack at Sebring in 1969 does both of them a serious disservice.

Bill Brack was the Canadian distributor for Lotus and a BMC dealer in the Toronto area, who competed successfully in Minis, a Lotus 47, ex-Graham Hill Lotus 42B Indycar and Lotus 70. He won the Player’s Challenge Series in 1973 and ’74 and, when the series was upgraded to Formula Atlantic, he won it two more years in a row. It took some kid named Gilles Villeneuve to finally beat him to the championship.

Craig Hill is also a member of the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame. Having cut his racing teeth on dirt tracks and asphalt, he was the Canadian Formula B champ in 1969 and ’70 and graduated to the Player’s Challenge Series in a Lotus 69B and then a Brabham BT 40, and finally a March 75BT in Formula Atlantic.

Meaden’s research must have come solely from the results sheet because, in qualifying, Hill and Brack were almost four seconds faster than Hopkirk and Hedges. Yes, sister car ‘699F’ finished 26 laps ahead, but I cannot imagine that was all due to driver talent.

Mark Dixon Mark Dixon 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso 2 months ago

Classic writing

Thanks for a lovely article on Bill Collins and his Ferrari 250 Lusso. Robert Coucher kept the reader interested till the very end, with Collins showing no signs of egocentrism. Then came that final paragraph, quietly letting us know his famous sisters’ names and therefore their occupations. It was so informative, without modern media edginess and brashness.

Jeffrey 1987 Jaguar Sport XJ-S first owned by TWR’s Tom Walkinshaw and featuring a unique 6.4-litre V12 2 months ago

This TWR is a really great car. Though I totally get Jaguar’s marketing strategy for a grand tourer, a few modifications, such as 4 or 5 speed manual gearbox and superchargers, could have made the XJS a real sports car that was lacking from Jaguar for decades to come.

Drives TODAY use cookie